Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Bad Listener?

Repo thinks I don't listen to him. I beg to differ. It all started last weekend when he got me a glass of ice water. After handing it to me, he kept chuckling to himself. He wouldn't tell me what was so funny, so I let it go.

Then this week, we were on the phone when he said, "I don't think you listen to me. In fact, I'm going to quiz you." I was aghast. I had always assumed I was a good listener--supportive, asking questions, nodding when appropriate. But I'm a great test taker and always up for a challenge, so I told him to let 'er rip.

He asked me four questions: what's his middle name, what's his sister's name, when's his birthday and his college major. I nailed them all, cold. "Take that! I am the Quiz Mastah!" I exclaimed with glee. "By the way, why do you think I don't listen?" And then he tells me that apparently, whenever I'm getting him something to drink, I say, "Would you like ice?" and he always says no, and I always put ice in it anyway. That's why he was laughing when he got me a glass of ice water.

I felt so stupid. Because I think he might be right....even though I could swear that when I ask if he wants ice, he says, "It doesn't matter."

This statement would be interpreted by me as, "I would love ice, Virginia, but I don't want to trouble you for ice." So I was probably thinking, Oh, it's no bother, I will gladly get you ice, Repo! as I fill the glass with ice. So we have been debating this. I swear he says he doesn't care about the ice. He is really enjoying sticking it to me about this and I'm being teased incessantly about it. And so now I pay extra close attention to what he says. Or so I thought.

Last night he came over to hang out while I packed. I had some dinner for him (leftovers) and made pumpkin bread for him since he's been really stressed at work this week. So we are watching basketball and eating pumpkin bread. I was rubbing his back (yes, I realize I am totally spoiling him!) and we were discussing the oddities of college basketball--upsets, ironies, that sort of thing. We were watching ESPN and saw how UVA beat Boston College. I exclaimed how this was such a crazy upset and he says, "I just said that about 20 minutes ago." I had absolutely no recollection of him saying that. I must have selective ears! I felt terrible and apologized. But I really had no excuse for myself. I'm an idiot! Why can't I listen better? I am really ashamed of myself. I wonder if other people think I'm like this...

He did say something to make me feel better: "That's ok. I talk about sports too much anyway." I remember that part. I was listening.

5 comments:

onna said...

I got here via teahouse - saw your comment and had to give a shoutout to Charleston. I went to SC recently for the 1st time and got to visit Charleston and man, what a BEAUTIFUL city. Love at first sight. And you know how when you fall in love you keep wanting to talk about the object of your affection.

Anyway,..., Hi!!

teahouse said...

Hey, glad I could bring you guys together!

;o)

As for the boy, he sounds sweet. It's ok; I space out as well.

Samborera said...

It's probably down to viewing things with different degrees of importance. Besides, you can't honestly be expected to remember EVERY single thing someone says, can you?

NML/Natalie said...

Have you two snogged yet? And maybe he doesn't talk loud enough or communicate what he's saying properly ;-)

Virginia Belle said...

pomme--welcome to the insanity that is my life! thanks for stopping by! and yes, charleston is fabulous. i mean, no it's not. it's disgusting and crime-ridden and tourists get mugged constantly. there are roaches everywhere and the food is foul. (we gotta keep all those pesky tourists away, you know! then we can have charleston all to ourselves!) *VB laughs evily*

teahouse-- thanks. glad to hear it's not just because i'm blonde.

samborera--my view exactly!

nml--oh yes. just sneaked in a quick smooch before heading into work today, in fact! (and no, he was not sleeping over. i didn't have to come in today until 1:30pm.)

CG--this is so odd. we are on opposite sides of the last two posts. you think him being wasted is no big deal and you think it's huge that he's giving me a hard time about listening. i'm exactly opposite! really, it's nothing he's mad about. i think he just enjoys teasing me. it's become a joke, really. but he made a good point--sometimes i'm not the best listener. it's true. i have a tendency to be thinking instead of listening. so i'm trying to work on that. and you brought up a good point--i very well could be dominating the conversation. it wouldn't surprise me. so i'll try and remember why i have two ears and only one mouth! i will ask him about it, though....thanks for your excellent comment. i have food for thought...