Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Blogs & Snogs

Yes! I've finally incorporated (stolen?) British slang into a post title!

Sorry I've been away so long, readers. I have been one busy girl! I had an action-packed weekend, work has been super busy and I'm moving this weekend, so I just have not had time to post. Egads, I got a life! Can you believe it? I'm going to give you the highlights of everything.

But first, I'd like to make an announcement: I have a new blog! There is a link on the sidebar for Virginia Cooks. I really like to share recipes and cook, so I thought this would be a great way to share and stay organized. Plus, it will encourage me to cook more often. It won't be my main blog, because let's face it, this one is much more interesting! [VB hears crickets chirping] But feel free to email the recipes to your friends and email me recipes or links and I will post them for you (giving you credit, of course!). You can ask me questions about my recipes or give me suggestions. If you are really brave, email me cooking questions! I have put up two recipes today to get you started. I hope you like them.

Ok, on to the good stuff. After work on Friday, I bought my new washer and dryer for $400! And I also bought the couch for $100. They (a couple who are getting married and trying to condense their stuff) threw in a cute slipcover and some patio furniture for free. I am quite the bargain hunter if I do say so myself!

Friday night I went to Local's (as usual) with Brunette. We were sort of half-way planning on meeting up with the Wild Young'ns there. We hadn't seen them in a while, so it was good to hang out with J-Rich, Mack Daddy and JD. I figured Big Poppa and Repo would show up. Man, did they make an entrance. Repo's former frat brothers had made a surprise visit earlier in the evening and they had all been drinking Ciclon, which is this rum spiked with tequila. I guess it really messes with Repo, because he says there is a connection between this drink and him being really drunk. They were not so much drunk as they were completely wasted. Like frat party wasted. Soon Repo started to irk me. Here's what he did:

Argued with me about his ability to walk in a straight line--he couldn't.
Groped me incessantly to the point where I was truly irritated with him.
Tried to make out with me on a dancefloor in the sleaziest of bars.
Had to be told 4 times in a row that I wanted a glass of water.
Tried to pick a fight with a complete stranger.
Ordered food at IHOP and didn't eat any of it.
Whined loudly and incessantly about wanting to go home.
Dawdled when it was time to go home. [grrrr...]
Misplaced his credit card, so I had to pay for everyone.
Didn't remember anything from the entire night.

I forgot how much I hate babysitting drunk people. Brunette and I dropped him off at home and took Big Poppa to his car (BP was ok to drive by this point). Needless to say, I was pretty ticked off. I don't mind being around drunk people, but being around totally wasted people is a different matter. I'm done with college! I don't want to date a frat boy! And trust me, I won't be seen in public with him again if he's ever like that. I will just go home.

The next day he called and apologized. Even though he couldn't remember anything, he remembered enough to know he had been obnoctious. I don't like having serious conversations on the phone, so I just settled our plans for that night and got off the phone. He was definitely in the doghouse.

We were going to a really really nice restaurant for dinner, so I figured I'd put in a little extra effort and wear my new red dress. I'm a little squeezed for time, so I'm slightly chicken-headed as I get ready. I'm in the shower, shaving my legs. Somehow I managed to cut the s--t out of my foot and it won't stop bleeding. This ate up about 20 extra minutes. Dang. I needed a big band-aid right across my foot, so wearing the pumps I wanted to wear was out of the question. I had to wear boots, which didn't look right. I was looking at the boots with the dress when I realized that my bra hangs out of the back of the dress. Dang! I could have devised a way to hide the strap or go commando, but I didn't have time to fool with it and I didn't like the boots with it anyway. So I scrapped the outfit and wore my new blue top and a black skirt, which Repo really liked. Plus, I was warmer. Bonus. Whew!

We had dinner at a restaurant called Motor Supply because it used to be a store for auto parts back in the day. The menu changes every day, which I think is really cool. I got a salad with creamy feta dressing, a big porterhouse-sized grilled porkchop with honey-dijon-bourbon sauce, sweet mashed potatoes and snow peas. This was the best meal I've had in months! Good conversations and good ambience, and this was a great dinner date so far. It was cold and rainy, so after dinner we decided to go to his house and look at his baby pictures. I got to see old pictures of his family and friends and listen to stories of his childhood, which was really nice. Then we got to talking about last night...

He apologized about a million times when I told him how he had acted. He felt terrible and was mortified. Which was the reaction I was hoping for, I have to say. I told him I'm not an "ultimatum" kind of girl and I am not someone who tries to "change" people, but I am not interested in dating someone who acts like this--whether I'm present or not. I have enough people in my life that I worry about, I don't need to worry about the guys I date. Then I told him he can do whatever he wants because he is a grown man, but I might not be around to see him do it. He was informed that I don't tolerate anyone raising their voice to me--any words yelled at me will be the last words he speaks to me. No exceptions. (Brunette and I think he might have a temper when he drinks.) I said this was just an FYI conversation so he will know what the deal is. I accepted his apology and joked that he used up all of his brownie points. (Plus, I've been calling him Drunky Monkey, which he hates.) Then he said the words every woman truly wants to hear:

"You're right. I'm an idiot. I'm really sorry. I'm not going to do that again. It's just not worth it. It's time for me to grow up."

I thought, Good. Glad we can come to an agreement on this. Hopefully he means what he says. Hopefully I'm not dating an alcoholic or an eternal frat boy. I don't want to be The Drunk Guy's girlfriend. We changed the subject and watched a movie. And yes, I got some good smoochin' in. Man, I'm glad to get that out of the way. I told him I thought I had cooties or something. He said I just make him nervous. Awww...

Sunday I went to a hockey game and out to dinner with Brunette. We had a good time. It was nice to end my weekend with a sober woman instead of a drunk man!

I have to go home now. I'm going to bake some pumpkin bread while I pack. Then I'm taking it to Repo. He's having a really rough week, so I'm going to cheer him up. Besides, he is helping me move, so I'm pretty grateful! He wants to get me a birthday present. What should I ask for?

7 comments:

sassafras said...

When is your birthday? I'll have to think about the gift suggestion...that's hard.

Samborera said...

About what you should ask for. Go easy on him. Nothing where he's have to choose colours and things.

Virtually all my friends drink [I'm the black sheep] and as much as I can hang out with them and generally have a good time, It's really irritating to be in the company of people who are acting juvenile after a couple of drinks. If you can't handle it, leave it alone is what I say. You seem to have a good thing going though, snogs and all.

Stuck said...

Yesterday I told myself I would avoid commenting on this, but today I've changed my mind.

I would be incredibly wary of him. Just from the story of dropping his drunken self off a block from his house so he could walk home and get in his car was enough to make me wary.

Don't let feelings cloud your judgement this early in dating him.

(And I'm not just saying this so you'll start seeing me and get into my pants. *wink*)

Virginia Belle said...

Sassafras-- my birthday is monday the 27th. i will be 27!

serendipity--hmmmm....good idea....i will have to think....

samborera--no, i know better than to ask for something where he would have to choose colors or something. that would be unfair.

stuck--i know. trust me, i'm keeping my eyes open and i meant what i said. i have a lot of experience w/alcoholics, so i know what to look for. i'm doing my best at remaining cloud-free, trust me.
excellent usage of our inside joke, btw. i'm getting a shirt, i swear!

Stuck said...

When you get the shirt, be sure to disperse copies to any hottie friends. You can start a Movement.

NML/Natalie said...

OK, forget the comment on the latter post. You snogged! Hallelujah! Re the birthday present, this is dubious territory when you haven't been together that long, as a false move will create the wrong impression. Think of a couple of things that you really want and go for one of those.

Virginia Belle said...

Stuckey-- i will definitely be ordering a box of 50 tshirts. everyone in town will have one! but i will screen them and make sure it's only hot babes who are wearing them. we can't have just anybody in your pants, you know.

CG--well, that would normally be ok, except that maturity is something i like in a boyfriend. and it would be different if his personality didn't change when he drank. that is very bad. i told him i was actually out with his evil twin, Rapo, that night. you gotta remember how much of a role alcoholics play in my life. i know bad signs when i see them. not everyone is fun when they are drunk. you, my dear, are very fun. repo is not.

NML-- i did think of something! i will post about it...