Saturday, February 27, 2010

Happy Bday to Me

Greetings, readers! I am writing to you from my brand new laptop, while sitting in a coffee shop. This might be the most cliche moment of my life. :)

I know I haven't been blogging lately, so let me catch you up.

1. Today is my birthday. I turn 25. (Well, something like that...)Not much planned. MJ is on her way to visit me and hang out for the day. Tonight she and I are joining my coworkers for dinner at my favorite Thai restaurant. Mmmm. Thai. If I am not too sleepy, we will go out for a drink somewhere. But seeing as how I went to bed at 9:30 last night...might not happen.

2. I got a laptop. Yay! This is actually my first computer. I have always just used my friends' computers. I used to have my brother's old computer, but it was so slow, and I really wanted a laptop, so I just figured I'd go for it. I saved up my Best Buy gift cards for a year, and got this little HP for around $350. Woo hoo!! I wish you guys were here to see me try to figure out how to get onto a wireless network. It took me a few minutes. I looked like a total idiot.

3. The main purpose of the laptop was to get me out of the house, away from CN and around people other than CN and my coworkers. I am in such a bad habit of watching tv and just hanging out w/CN. It is not good. I need space. I need to get away. My laptop is my ticket out.

4. Total number of times I have used laptop to actually get out of the house: one. Today. I have had this laptop since Christmas time. It's so much easier to flop on the couch.

5. As if you cannot tell yet, the diet/exercise program is still nada. *Sigh* I really need to get going on that. It would give me so much more energy.

6. In more serious news, my uncle passed away suddenly about 3 weeks ago. He dropped dead of a heart attack. Just like that. The thing that stinks is that he knew heart problems ran in his family, and so he did everything right -- never smoked, never ate bad food, never gained weight, always exercised. We used to tease him because he never put any sauces or flavorings on his food -- no ketchup, no salt. He was trying to be healthy, I guess. Anyway, as you can imagine, my aunt was devastated. She's my dad's sister, btw. I heart her. So I flew up to Washington, DC. My brother works right near Dulles airport, and my mom was picking him up on the way to Lancaster, PA to go to the funeral. So she just stopped to pick me up at the airport. It was hard to see my aunt and my cousins (they had 3 boys) so sad and upset, but I know they will make it through ok. They have so many good friends up there, and my aunt's job keeps her really busy, which is good. Mom and I are already making plans to go visit her in a few months. Oh, and remember all those snowstorms that hit DC? And everything got shut down? I had to re-arrange my flight at the last minute to avoid getting stuck in DC. I was on one of the last flights before Dulles was shut down. Whew!

7. While I was up there, my aunt told me 2 stories about my ancestors which I did not know. I will have to share them with you -- they are super juicy! I have so many interesting and amazing family stories now. I kind of want to write a book about it. Maybe a semi-fictionalized account. That would be cool. I have always wanted to be an author.

8. Work is still bonkers. It's never going to let up. Ever. I have decided that if I don't get a nice (and I mean NICE) raise in June, when I'm up for review, I will start looking elsewhere. I have been working my butt off for this job, and I don't really like Savannah, anyway. (Have I blogged about this? If not, remind me. I have a little soapbox speech I give about Savannah.)

9. It is getting really REALLY hard not to talk about politics on here. I try to keep this blog as un-political as possible, but that my not last forever....

Anyway, thanks for reading. I will try and get better about this blog. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to figure out why this outlet is not charging my laptop....argh.

11 comments:

columbiacitygirl said...

Happy Birthday! I was thinking about you the other day and was wondering how things were going. Glad you blogged - I've missed your posts. Take care - E.

Fluffycat said...

Happy Birthday! I guess I'm a bit late. Can't wait to read the things about your family history and why you hate Savannah.

Becky at lifeoutoffocus said...

good to get an update from you! happy belated birthday and i'm sorry to hear about your uncle. i can't believe you're still living with CN either. omg. your poor thing.

Coco said...

Ah, I knew there was a reason I identified with you so much-our birthdays are only 2 days apart, so the stars must account for it. ;) haha

Glad to hear you're still alive!!

Lexie Lou said...

Happy Birthday! Congrats on the laptop! I hope you will use it to get out of the house more because I miss seeing VB blog updates!!
Alexandra

teahouse said...

Welcome back, VB!!! I never gave up hope that you would come back to us. And thanks for your kind comments on my blog!

I'm picturing you in a coffeeshop with your laptop, like Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and the City!!

SJP said...

Happy Birthday!!

Sorry about your uncle.

Welcome back! We missed you!

Megan said...

Happy Belated Birthday.

Sorry to hear about your uncle.

Glad you are back to blogging...please keep it up!

Virginia Belle said...

Thanks, guys! It's good to be back! I am making a concerted effort to do more blogging. I miss it, and you guys. My readers are the best!!!

GrewUpRural said...

I know I am late, but happy belated birthday. Glad to see you are back to blogging!

Debra said...

Our birthdays are 2 days apart as well... mine is March 1st.

Sorry about your uncle, that's really sad. My brother died of a heart attack in 2006 (on your birthday of all days) so you'd think I'd exercise, eat better, etc.

I'm glad you are blogging again, I love reading your novels, I mean posts. lol

Oh, and I'd love to hear about the ancestor stuff... we had emailed each other a few times a few years ago regarding our love for geneology.