Sunday, March 14, 2010

Springing Forward?

It's quarter to 11pm, and I am wide awake. Stupid daylight savings. I'm supposed to be asleep right now, so I can be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed for Monday morning at work.

The 2 hour nap I took today might also be playing a role...DANG!

No updates on my living situation. Ex-F is still out of town (and every day is bliss!), still do not have a confirmed tenant for my house in SC. Still don't know if Ex-F is really moving out or if he's just thinking about it. So since so much of it is out of my control, I have been content to not stress about it so much. Just trying to watch my pennies in case I'm in a bind.

Did I tell you I gave up candy and TV for Lent? Just candy. Not ice cream, cookies, pudding, etc. Dude! It is hard! I am majorly jonesing for Twizzlers. And those little sour watermelon slices. And don't even talk to me about Cadbury eggs. The TV thing isn't as difficult. I have allowed myself to watch DVDs and the news. Since I'm not a big movie watcher to begin with, I have immersed myself in various news programs. And now, I have turned from a casual news junkie into fairly-obsessed news junkie. I know WAY more than I ever cared to about the upcoming St. Patty's Day Festival here in Savannah and the Health Care Bill debate going on in DC. I'm kind of ready for them to just vote on it already, because I'm getting kind of bored.

Of course, the main purposes of these two Lenten abstinences (is that a word?) were to motivate me to lose weight (candy normally consists of about 1/3 of my diet) and to encourage me to read more books (don't get me wrong, I like to read, but I will always pick TV over a book, simply for its interactivity with other people, albeit indirect).

Like many of my self-improvement plans, this one has failed miserably. In lieu of candy, my ice cream intake has approximately tripled, and I am now watching TONS of news and am reading only in the last 5 minutes of my day. The news is on in the background whenever I am home. News programs totally know how to reel me in. They tease you with a really crazy story (Car Wash Owner Harassed Over 4 cent Tax Bill! Plane Lands in Middle of Highway!)...which will be on in exactly 32 minutes. ARGH! So, of course, I have to keep watching until the story I really want pops up.

Alright, y'all. I gotta go try and get to sleep. Hope everyone set their clocks and watches and checked their fire alarms.

Crap. I am still totally awake. Maybe I will see what's on the news....

6 comments:

SJP said...

Ugh, Daylight Savings hit me hard too, actually today (Tuesday) was worse than Monday for me. I forgot about the fire alarm, good call!

Good luck with the candy, wow do I hear you on that one! I love me some candy, and would definitely find something to fill the void. Unfortunately, I normally set way too strict goals (no sweets at all), and end up gorging and binging. Not good.

Virginia Belle said...

SJP -- actually, I probably would have been better off w/no sweets at all. i seem to do better with all or nothing rules. for a short time period, anyway.

Coco said...

It's been a tough week. Time change, whether it's forward or back, somehow always seems to kick my butt!

Watching tons of news is only acceptable, in my estimation, if you are watching eye-candy news with Anderson Cooper. :)

Jonathan said...

Time change, its like mini-jet lag

Smug said...

Time changes always suck, except this one for me, cause I am not working right now (gave birth on 2-21 to sweet baby girl). I don't even know what day it is or the date. My whole world is crazy right now.

Glad that you are back blogging and sorry to hear that the living situation has not improved.

teahouse said...

I hate that first week of Daylight Savings Time. My poor body is still not fully adjusted...