Sunday, May 30, 2010

Vacay Summary

Greetings, Readers!

Let's see. What should I update you on? My visit with the fam went very well. My little sister, Smurf, is all grown up now. She's got quite a summer ahead of her -- she will actually be going to Belgium for 6 weeks where she will be taking some French classes. She'll be staying with my aunt, who lives there. So I am really excited for her. Then, she will come back and 10 days later, she will begin college at Sweet Briar. I can't believe how old she is! It seems like yesterday when I graduated high school, and she was just a little rug rat.


Wasn't she the cutest kid ever?? Now she's all tall and gorgeous. She's got legs up to her earlobes, eyelashes anyone would envy and she even lucked out with The Czarina's thick hair. So not fair. :)

Another thing I did when I went up there to visit the family was to get my grandmother's engagement ring. If you remember correctly, this was supposed to be my engagement ring before I broke things off with the Ex-F. At first, I didn't want it, because it was too weird, and it made me sad to think about what the ring was supposed to be. But my European Aunt (the same one who lives in Belgium) really wants me to have it, so now I am wearing it. My European Aunt never had any kids, nor did she ever get married, and since I am named after my grandmother, she has always wanted to give the ring to me. It's very old-fashioned, and it means a lot to me. My grandparents got married in 1945, and the wear on the ring just goes to show you how long they were married. By now, it's been long enough that it doesn't make me sad anymore to think about the Ex-F, so it's cool. Apparently, my grandmother had the same size fingers as I do, because it fits like a glove.

The thing that may get weird is that the Ex-F has seen the ring before, and I am worried he will recognize it if he sees it. So I have to turn it around backwards when I'm around him. (He dog sits Sammy for me during the week while I am at work). I don't plan on ever taking it off my finger -- it's just a good habit to wear it all the time so I don't ever lose it.

I guess if I ever get a new fiance, they will just have to suck it up and buy me my own ring! Seems fair to me -- two hands, two rings, right? :)

The Czarina and I also went up to Lancaster, PA to visit my other aunt (the one whose husband dropped dead of a heart attack earlier this year). We were worried about how she was doing, but were very relieved to find her in good spirits. We're very proud of her and the way she is handling this challenging time in her life. She's got a great support network up there, and she's going to be just fine. The three of us spent a few days shopping and eating delicious Italian food. (For some reason, there are several super yummy Italian places up there in the middle of Amish country!) We also went to the big Farmer's Market in downtown Lancaster -- man, was that something to see!! So much gorgeous, local produce. If I lived there, I would never buy produce at the grocery store. Some of the booths were run by Amish people, which was really neat, too. It's interesting to see a group of people who don't believe in telephones, wearing jewelry or makeup, using zippers, having electricity in their homes or driving cars -- and yet they still function with "outsiders" in almost the same way. Such an interesting lifestyle and local culture.

After visiting my aunt in PA, The Czarina and I spent a day shopping in Richmond. Man, do they have great shopping there. *sigh* I live for shopping in Richmond. It makes me want to move there so badly. I have been looking for jobs there for a while now, actually.

I flew back yesterday afternoon, and am very happy that I now have 2 days to putter around before going back to work. :)

9 comments:

Meghan (The Declaration of MY Independence) said...

Awww, I wish you would have come to see the family member in Pittsburgh and not Lancaster, but I'm glad you had a good time.

Glad to see you writing a lot more in the blog...I've missed you!

Meghan (The Declaration of MY Independence) said...

OH! And the ring is absolutely gorgeous!!! Lucky girl!

Meghan (The Declaration of MY Independence) said...

OH! And the ring is absolutely gorgeous!!! Lucky girl!

Smug said...

Umm, what about the crush you were teasing us with in your last post?? Did CN move out finally?

GrewUpRural said...

The ring is gorgeous and I am glad to you had a great time back home. I love shopping in Lancaster county. It's one of the few places that I can find frozen gluten-free whoopie pies!

Christina said...

Congrats to Smurf! And the ring is absolutely gorgeous! What about the new crush??

teahouse said...

Hey, that's a gorgeous ring! And it so belongs on your finger! Congrats to your adorable sister!

Scotty said...

REALLY cool about the ring/grandmother :)

Lexie Lou said...

Beautiful ring!! It's cool your sister is going to Sweet Briar. My mom went there and loved it!! It is such a beautiful place!! Your international travel plans sound awesome as well!!