I've been tagged! cmk is having me do the "8 Weird Facts about Me" thing again.
Although I've done this one before, I'm really glad to be tagged today, my brain is about as organized as this right now:
So it's good for me to have some structure today. I'm feeling a little giddy/anxious. So this will be a NYC-Trip-Theme list. Because I'm incapable of thinking about anything else.
Since I got up this morning, I keep saying, "D'OH! I forgot...." or "OH, sh*t! When am I going to...?" since today is the day I'm leaving with MJ & KT for NYC/Vermont to hang out with the Rat Pack. I'll be fine once I'm on the plane and I'm LaGuardia-bound. *takes deep breath*
Let's see. What to share...from my disorganized, ADD brain...
1. Songs I'm into at the moment: "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" -- The Darkness, "Used to Love You" -- John Legend, "Start Me Up" -- The Rolling Stones, "Sour Times" -- Portishead, "Vacation" -- The Go-Gos, "Bag Lady" -- Erykah Badu, "Tambourine" -- Eve. We will be listening to these (hopefully?) on the drive up to the Charlotte airport.
2. Books I'm bringing with me to read on train/plane: The Truth About the Irish -- by Terry Eagleton and The Hungry Years: Confessions of a Food Addict -- by William Leith. I always bring more than one book with me, in case I can't "get into" one of them. And yes, I am both Irish and a food addict. Luckily, both of these are supposed to be funny. We will see if they compare to David Sedaris, world's funniest writer (IMHO). I'm also bringing a travel guide to NYC (duh).
3. I am trying to remain calm about getting on an airplane today. Believe it or not, although I do fear heights, I am totally cool with flying. I love it, actually. Once I'm on the plane. You see, getting to the airport on time and making sure I don't get strip-searched (yes, I am paranoid), or miss my flight or get on the wrong flight altogether STRESS ME THE EFF OUT. Really, it's just not normal, the way I agonize over airports and flying. I triple-check everything, I'm hyper-aware of my surroundings and I'm sure my face has a look of sheer panic when I'm walking around the airport. I live in fear of boarding a plane, only to hear the pilot announce (once we are mid-flight, of course) "Ok, folks, we'll be landing in Beijing in about 45 minutes, and remember, your $3,000 tickets are non-refundable."
Not that Beijing would be a bad place to go. I'd like to visit China some day. But if that's not my destination, hearing an announcement like that could quite possibly send me into a grand mal seizure. Or a catatonic state. Or something crazy like that.
I'm really hoping I won't break out in buckets of sweat and smell like B.O. ("platinum strength" deodorant my ASS), get supremely dehydrated and practically scream at the flight attendant for more water or do anything stupid when I'm flying this time. I also hope I won't have to run to my plane like I did last December. And I hope I don't have to sit near any of these people. Ugh, just thinking about navigating the "friendly" skies makes my heart flutter and my shoulders tense up. Where are my cigarettes? And WHY can't you smoke on planes anymore???? Don't they know that for some people, flying is extremely stressful??? Perhaps I get stressed out about it because I have a subconscious association?
4. In any case, perhaps I can dig up a Xanax to take as we drive up to Charlotte to catch our direct flight? That would help me a LOT. I heart Xanax. This would be a good time to take one, since I would be zonked, but I would have traveling companions to make sure I still get on the plane. This will be the first time in 10 years that I have traveled with someone. It will be nice to not have to talk to strangers. Traveling alone is not nearly as fun.
5. There is some comfort in knowing that, for the first time EVER IN MY LIFE, I did not overpack. (Thank you, MJ! It seems that having someone help/watch me pack is the key to solving my problem!) No struggling with 3 bags, no kicking myself for bringing stuff I didn't even wear. Of course, this inevitably means I will spend the whole vacation saying, "Dangit! I wish I had brought my [insert something vital here]!!" I am also comforted by the genius that is MJ, who booked a direct flight. WHEW!
6. This weekend, I will be at a lake somewhere in Vermont. The water will be cold. I'm wondering if it will be like the lake I visited as a child, in the mountains of North Carolina. That lake had (I am not making this up!) teeny tiny freshwater jellyfish in it. I don't think they stung, but I remember being amazed at the concept of freshwater jellyfish. See? They do exist!
7. Souvenir Purchasing Goals include: a fake one of these, a pair of big silver earrings (all my pairs are little or casual. I need some big, shiny, dressy ones) and a cool t-shirt.
8. Food Eating Goals include: lots of NY pizza, a real bagel (they are surprisingly hard to find in the South), authentic Italian anything, and some Vermont ice cream.
Ok, I just re-read #3, and my heart is POUNDING. Even just reading about airports raises my blood pressure. I am ridiculous. Of course, Mr. Chertoff is NOT helping today!!!
Cool! Time for lunch now. I will be boarding the plane in about 8 hours! WOO HOO!!!!
Oh, if you want to do this meme (admittedly, I didn't do a good job at it....it was supposed to be weird things....well, maybe I accomplished it. I dunno.), help yourself.