Thursday, August 14, 2008

Annivesary Present??

Thanks, everyone, for all the supportive comments (and emails) on my last post. It is really comforting to get some reassurance on that! Every once in a while, my normally great mother turns into a total wack job. Ugh. Mothers.

Anyway, let's move on. I have a dilemma and I need your help. I have two weeks to figure out what to do to celebrate a one year anniversary with CN. Yes, it's been that long. It feels like it's only been 6 months.

The problem is, I am having a rare moment of indecisiveness. At first, we talked about taking a trip somewhere for the weekend (Labor Day weekend is basically our anniversary). We talked about maybe Charleston or Asheville, but it seemed so expensive, so I told CN that we shouldn't do all that.

"Oh, sweetie, that's too expensive. Let's just stay here in town and go out to a nice dinner," I said.

"Ok, how about The Melting Pot? You've always said how much you love it, and I've never been," he said.

"Yes, I do love that restaurant. But it's so expensive. Like, you will drop $100," I replied.

"So?" he said.

Anyway, our plans are kind of up in the air, because I can't decide what I want to do, and CN is basically down for whatever. I really would love to take a weekend trip, but it's expensive and the traffic will be horrendous (it will be on Labor Day weekend). But it would be nice to share an experience like that together. We've been talking about taking a weekend trip somewhere for MONTHS. I guess we could split the cost 50/50 and that would make it simple. And then we wouldn't have to worry about presents for each other.

Staying here just seems kind of...ho hum. And once we are done eating at Melting Pot, that's it. It's over. No photos. No memories. No keepsakes. Just a bloated and sleepy feeling from eating too much (seriously, y'all, I stuff myself SILLY at that place). So I'm not totally loving this idea.

Then there's the problem of what kind of a gift to get. If we do go the Melting Pot route, I need to get him something. Do I get something sentimental, like a photo memory book? Or should I just get a regular gift? I could get tickets to an event for us. Or a conglomerate of small gifts that I know he would like...

ARGH.

You see, about a week ago, I had it all planned out: We were going to do Melting Pot and I was going to give him tickets to a USC football game. This would have been the perfect present because the first time CN and I hung out, we tailgated at a USC game. So it was a gift that is sentimental, something we could do together and it would be a memory-making experience. Bingo!

My friend's dad was the guy with the tickets for sale. He was selling them at face value, which is unheard of. But by the time my friend asked him about the tickets, he had already promised them to someone else. DANG!

So now I'm back to the drawing board. USC tickets are like $100 a piece, if you can find them at all, and that's for the bad seats! So it's a little out of the budget for me.

Do you think I should get/do something that is a joint activity? Something romantic? (Yes, he's the kind of guy who might actually like that sort of thing. I mean, not like flowers. But he's a really sentimental person.) Or should I just get a regular gift and leave it at that?

I have been pouring over RedEnvelope.com, FindGift.com and the Atlanta Falcons website (he's a major fan) all morning. And I've got nada.

Does anyone have any ideas? Have you ever received/given a kick-ass anniversary present? Keep in mind that CN is not into any of the following activities:

golf
playing sports
wine
hard liquor
cigars
adrenaline-junkie activities like cliff diving
dressing up (so cuff links are out)

This eliminates like, 80% of the gifts out there. He's basically into beer, Hooters, the Falcons, the Braves, the Gamecocks, his Jeep, music and his Playstation 2. Guys are so hard to shop for!!!! I asked him what he wanted, and do you know what he said? He said he wanted a hooker. I told him no.

I have already gotten him tix to a Falcons game in the past, so that's out. So is an iPod shuffle. And I can't afford one of these, or one of these, even though I know he'd love to get one. Besides, they aren't very romantic, and I'd rather spend that kind of money at Christmas, anyway.

Anyone have any ideas???? At this point, I'm considering going back to the original weekend trip plan, and we split the costs. Hmmmm....... HELP!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

make him a mix tape of a bunch of songs that mean something to the both of you. make cute cover art. its sentimental AND cheap!

GrewUpRural said...

Take the trip and split the costs. Also remember, you don't have to take the trip during Labor Day weekend. If possible, schedule for the weekend after.

AB said...

i have a couple of ideas...

1. check craigslist for tickets...sometimes if you watch it carefully, you can score a deal.

2. since he likes football and has a playstation 2, get him madden 09 to play.

Lisa said...

BJ

Southern (in)Sanity said...

Take the trip. Yeah, it's expensive ... but you both deserve it. It's not like you do it on a regular basis. It will be fun, I'm sure.

Capricorn Cringe said...

Get him a hooker!

You can hire one of those singing telegram-type people and have him dress up as a delicious hot babe ... then, when s/he starts the strip-tease, you can take pictures of CN's face as the truth is revealed ;)

Virginia Belle said...

annabolek -- i love this idea, but the problem is, we don't really have any meaningful songs. weird, i know. unless you count "eternal flame", which i like to sing to him in the car. :)

grewuprural -- yeah, we are now thinking of going to savannah in october...

sg-- yes, i have been watching craigslist. but he went out and bought madden '09 already. DANG!

MJ-- ha ha.

rwa-- yeah...i'm thinking we might just wait until october. i might be going to a conference in savannah, and he can tag along, and then we will stay a couple extra days and hang out.

capricorn -- OMG that would be hilarious!!! but he would actually be totally mortified, to tell the truth. it would be more fun for me than him!

Virginia Belle said...

omg...totally just realized that i misspelled "anniversary" in the title of this post.

i am slightly embarrassed right now.

H said...

do the trip! I remember trips I took with my ex, or with friends, family, etc, but I don't necessarily remember gifts...

sassafras said...

Take the trip. My favorite memories with my husband are of places we've been and explored together. I don't regret any of them, even if they were really tight on the budget.

I like the idea of going on a different weekend to make it less stressful (and cheaper??) for you both.

(M)ary said...

sex.

that is my answer to everything when it comes to men.

is there a fun hotel in town where you could spend the night?

(M)ary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Phantom Hater said...

Do a weekend trip. It costs about as much as a couple Playstation games and beer and wings at Hooters and you get memories and photos. Find someplace couply and scenic nearby, book a hotel rez and get in the car and go.

C'mon, you're working 2 jobs for some extra $$. Tell CN to get a second job at the Men's Department at Dildo's. lol.