Thursday, March 02, 2006

27 on the 27th

No wise man ever wished to be younger.--Jonathan Swift

This year was a special birthday for me. I think there is some significance to turning 27 on the 27th. I remember being little and looking forward to this particular birthday. (I guess I was a bored and geeky child!) The number 27 has always been significant to me, so I'm wondering if this year will be extra important. I'm excited to see what happens!

Sort of like New Year's, you tend to look at birthdays as gateways between your past and your future. In a lot of ways, I'm proud of what I've accomplished already, but in other ways, I can't wait to see where this journey called life will take me. So I've decided to make a combined list. Below are 27 statements. Some are accomplished tasks and some are hopeful wishes.

1. I have three degrees now.
2. I want two more.
3. I have learned the importance of family.
4. One day I hope to have my own.
5. I have traveled in Italy on my own.
6. I would like to do more traveling with someone I love.
7. The older I get, the more I understand and appreciate myself.
8. The older I get, the more I realize I am an idiot.
9. I have learned how to love, laugh and dance fearlessly.
10. That doesn't mean they are easy to do. But I'll keep trying.
11. I'm glad I've had a lot of fun so far.
12. I know the best is yet to come.
13. I can support myself financially. Finally.
14. The older I get, the more money I will have. (Statistics show!)
15. I have many good friends who care about me.
16. I'm not done making new friends yet.
17. The more life experience I acquire, the stronger and braver I become.
18. One day I'll be old enough to say exactly what's on my mind!
19. I have learned to be somewhat patient, sympathetic, hard-working and flexible.
20. Maybe one day I'll learn how to be more open-minded and less selfish.
21. I am much more health-conscious than I used to be.
22. Hopefully I will get back to a size 8 one day...
23. I know lots about history, baking and make-up.
24. Hopefully, I will learn more about money, computers and taxes. (much more practical!)
25. I have learned that I do not need money, weight loss or a boyfriend to be happy.
26. But that doesn't stop me from enjoying them when they make brief appearances.
27. Most of the time, life is wonderful and I'm grateful for everything I have and will have.

4 comments:

NML/Natalie said...

3 degrees! You want two more?! OK, I only have 1 and I'm wondering am I missing something? ;-)

Virginia Belle said...

ok, well, to be fair, i'm including my high school diploma, which really shouldn't count...

what can i say? i'm a geek. i like school.

Vixen said...

I was about to say something about the 3 degrees as well!

So what do you want the other 2 to be in?

Virginia Belle said...

Well, i'm thinking of getting a M. Ed. (a masters in education so i can go back to teaching if i want) and then maybe a PhD (only because i'd love to be able to have "Dr." in front of my name and i would be the first woman in my family to get one.) But i don't care about what subject it is in. Maybe history?