Friday, March 10, 2006

I Need a Vacation!

So my boss knocked on my office door the other day. She said, "I don't know if you know this or not, but you have to use up your vacation time by the end of the fiscal year or you will lose it."

There are worse things to hear from your boss. I thought I had a year from my hire date to use them, so I was saving up for the annual Edisto Island trip my girlfriends take each August. But, since I am a state employee, the fiscal year ends on June 30th, and my vacation hours will start over then. Turns out I have 50 hours of vacation to use before July 1st! Woo-hoo!

Can I just tell you how excited I am to get the chance to go somewhere? I have not been on vacation since December 2000. Yeah, I know. That is forever ago. It was a pretty phat vacation, though. I went here and here. Which was awesome because I'm a gigantic ancient history buff. Plus, there are great shoes and ice cream there. But I digress. I have been working and switching jobs so much, I have not had the opportunity to have a vacation since, let alone the money to go. Now I do! So the big question is, where do I go? Eeek! It's like Christmas!!!

I would love to go here or here. K and Repo said they would try and go with me. Unfortunately, neither of them can go for a whole week, which is what I want to do. So I will probably end up going here by myself. My friend lives over there and just had her first baby, so it would be great to see her. She is very homesick and her hubby had to go back to Iraq, so she is dying for company. Plus, babies are cute and I love wienerschnitzel! I've always wanted to go there. I can speak some German...jah! Das ist kool!

It would be a very cheap trip, actually. I would stay at her house and she would feed me. So really, I just have to buy a plane ticket. I do have a lot of points saved up on my credit card...

I also need a vacation from Repo's grumpy mood. What is it with men when they are sick and/or injured? They turn into turds! He did something to his wrist and now it is swollen and very painful. His health insurance at his current job hasn't kicked in yet because he just started there two months ago. His insurance from his old job is expired. He's not doing COBRA, which would allow him to remain covered until the new insurance kicks in. So he has been medicating with Advil. It's not working. He needs a doctor. He was at my house last night and was just being a little....well, he was being a s--thead. Nothing major, just grumpy and fussy like a little kid. He was getting on my nerves and teasing me entirely too much. (Keep in mind that I'm an extremely over-sensitive person who can only tolerate so much teasing before it hurts my feelings. So I was letting him get to me. He did not have any bad intentions, really.) We decided that he should go home and use a heating pad on his wrist since he wasn't very sociable anyway. So he left. He's convinced I'm mad at him, but I'm not. I'm just annoyed. I let his bad mood transfer over to me. Since I get off work early today, I'm going to meet up with him for lunch. Hopefully he will be in a nicer mood.

I was going to go to Charleston tomorrow with Brunette and Nurse P, but I don't think we are going to go anymore. I have too much stuff to do and there is a big convention there this weekend so it will be crowded. We are going to go another time. So instead, I'm going to see if Repo will give me my birthday surprise tomorrow night. (We have been trying to coordinate our schedules, but haven't been able to, so this Saturday is our only chance this weekend for a big date!)

Since it's P's birthday, we will have Girl's Night tonight. I think I will invite K and I'm sure Blonde and some others will come. I need a break from the male personality right now! Maybe we can have a "clean-up party"--we have a ton of beer left over from last weekend! Hmmm....maybe some margaritas....and girl talk.....sounds good!

7 comments:

sassafras said...

I am the same way-very sensitive. Even if I know my boyfriend is kidding it still hurts my feelings sometimes. I especially hate it when he knows I am not in the best of moods. It's how the phrase "only love" was coined. I say it when I know I can't deal with anything but love. And yeah, I am SO with you on the vacation thing. I have the time but no $ or person to go with. I did get to go to Disneyworld last year so it's OK. I'm curious to hear what the birthday surprise is! Sounds like you have a fun weekend ahead of you =)

NML/Natalie said...

For a moment, I was confused by the whole 50 hour thing (In this country we give it out in days!) and I was like 'Hmmm, that's 2 days and 2 hours' until my brain caught up with the post and I realised that it's more like 6 days if it's based on an 8 hour day. Enough of my waffle...

NML/Natalie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Dummy said...

Yeah, we can be turds at times - but that doesn't mean he should be bringing out his frustrations and putting them on you. That's not fair to you, and calling him out on it early is a good way to nip that in the bud before it gets to be a habit.

Glad to hear you're going to finally have vacation time! *sigh* I only WISH I could be in your shoes!

Virginia Belle said...

Sass-- that is a good phrase. maybe i will start that system with Repo. i think it would work.

NML--yes, i always thought the American system was strange. Why not use days? it makes more sense.

DD-- oh, i forgot you can't take vacation! sorry! and Repo is allowed to slide somewhat on this behavior. i'm not in the best mood when i'm tired, as you will see in my next post.

Anonymous said...

If your Deutschland plans don't work out.....we now own a guest bedroom near Boston!! Very historic...Boston that is, not the guest room.

Virginia Belle said...

Bostons-- yay! glad to hear the news about the house!!!! and yes, if the Germany plans fall through, i will definitely give you a call. i'm only planning on going there for about 5 days, so maybe i can take a long weekend and check out beantown!