Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Are Men Necessary?

Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition. --Timothy Leary

This is one of my favorite quotes. I might shock/tick off some of my readers when I say this: I am not a feminist. I'm not a supporter of that philosophy or mindframe. My problem with the feminist revolution is this: It is based on the notion that women, just how they are naturally, are not good enough. That they need to act like men in order to be happy. That being around men (working for them, cooking for them, etc.) makes us unhappy. Last time I checked, I could not be more feminine and I've never been happier. I love being a woman and I've never once had gender envy. And I absolutely adore men just how they are! I'd like to ask all the feminists: Why is it the women who have to change? To me, a true feminist revolution would entail men trying to behave more like women. That makes much more sense to me. (Although, maybe that's what Queer Eye for the Straight Guy is all about!)

In this post, I'm talking to the average and fairly feminine women, the closet Marthas, the ones who adore being a woman and doing domestic things but feel that they are less of a person for liking it or feel they should be ashamed for not embracing the feminist revolution. I'm talking to the women who hate men or don't appreciate them. This post is also for men who feel that they have nothing to offer the modern woman.

I think there is nothing to be ashamed of in being able to make a delicious chocolate cake, mend a sock or scrub a bathtub spotless. These kinds of things make life nicer. What's wrong with that? Someone has to do it, and last time I checked, most men are not very good at these things. I believe women are just more naturally inclined to do these sorts of things better than men. I'm not saying all women, just most. Some women are great at crunching numbers or buying out companies or planning business proposals. That is amazing and admirable as well. These women are awesome and every bit of woman as possible. They are just rare. And men who can cook and clean are awesome too! They are just rare.

Sure, you can comment to me about the whole "gender spectrum" or tell me that a trannie is just as feminine as a woman. Fine. I'll give you that. But regardless of what package it comes in or which gender they are attracted to, there are pretty much two types of people in the world: those who enjoy behaving like a stereotypical woman and those who prefer acting in the stereotypical male behavior.

I don't understand why our society is so caught up on trying to prove that women can do everything a man can do because it's silly. Last time I checked, men can't have babies, but you don't hear them say they're feeling jealous or inferior. And women can't open every jar that comes their way or bench press nearly as much as most men. Regardless of what kind of a job you have, ladies, there are some things we just can't do. And I am not only referring to physical body-related things, because I think we can all agree that men are physically stronger than women.

How many men can have enough sympathy in a movie theater to cry when a character dies? Very few. This is because few men have the ability to understand how anyone (other than themselves) feels. They just aren't wired like that. How many women truly understand football? Very few. That is because few women really understand the urgent need to toss around a ball while risking life and limb. I could go on, but you get my drift. We are just different. And that's ok.

I was reading Mom of 3's blog where she talks about how nowadays some men feel that they are unnecessary in our society. Women can now do everything that they want without needing a man's help. This is true.....sort of. I feel the need to remind men that they are indeed necessary and valuable in our society. Otherwise, we would have killed you guys off a long time ago. Trust me.

I propose that instead of trying to "prove" which gender is more capable of succeeding in this world, we instead embrace our differences and appreciate one another. I think that we are the ying to the male yang, ladies. (Or are we the yang? I'm not sure.) Together, we make the world go around. I think it takes two. And to prove it, here are ten reasons why I think men are great.

1. They make us feel safe when there are bad guys around. No amount of kickboxing knowledge will save us from the creepy guy who is following us down the deserted street. (The situation is different if the bad guy is breaking into our house. Women have guns and big dogs for that.)

2. Men remind us to relax and chill out. They don't get their noses out of joint if we don't vacuum, forget the dry-cleaning, order a pizza instead of cooking or look at us funny if we throw on sweatpants to run errands. Women are pretty critical, I must say.

3. This one is just my humble opinion, but I think men are funnier than women. Very few female comediennes will get me to the point where I have tears streaming down my face from laughing.

4. While women are brave and strong in certain ways, men are brave and strong in other ways. Like when it comes to killing large insects. Or moving furniture. We really appreciate it, guys!

5. Sometimes being emotional can be exhausting. Men are so easy to be around because they don't always feel the need to talk or bitch. Usually they just want to have a good time or get s--t done. News flash--women need that and appreciate it sometimes!

6. Men are usually more honest. They will tell us when we are being stupid or call us out on stuff. Women are too worried about being polite. It's nice to know truly what someone thinks. This does not mean that men are not incapable of hurting our feelings with their honesty. They do that a lot. But most of the time, it's good.

7. Men appreciate things women do not normally appreciate. They gush over a homecooked meal or made from scratch cookies much more than a female pal does. They appreciate it when we put forth effort to look nice. Not that our girlfriends don't care, but they just don't appreciate it as much.

8. Men think we are hot. They love the big booties that we hate having, they want to feel our boobies no matter the size and they think we smell really good. Men are good for our egos.

9. Men are hot. That alone is enough to get my vote for keeping them around. One of the main reasons I go to the gym is to ogle all the muscles and check out their butts. Sometimes men even smell good, too. Besides, electronic devices can only do so much.

10. Fill in your own reason here. Every man has a wonderful unique trait that you, as a woman, don't possess. Appreciate it! And maybe they will appreciate us more, too!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

HEY CHICA!! I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO CATCH UP WITH A READ HERE AND THERE AND TODAYS POST NEEDED TO BE SAID...AS FEMINIST AS I ONCE THOUGHT I WAS...MY OPINION NOW IS MUCH CLOSER TO YOURS. I DO NEED A MAN TO MAKE ME FEEL LIKE A WOMAN. YOU CAN'T CHANGE THAT. TALK TO YA SOON
SARA

Stuck said...

I've always wondered if this was a predominantly Southern viewpoint. I think Southern women are more submissive than Northerners, and I absolutely adore this about them. (Maybe I should have said domestic... read into that what you will.)

In my eyes, there is nothing degrading about being domestic. It's a choice, and it should be respected. Women who demand that their sisters leave the kitchens and enter the workforce are just as intolerant as the men who demand that they stay home and make babies.

One question, though... Do people really mend socks?

Virginia Belle said...

hey, girl! glad to see you are reading my blog!!! welcome!!! yes, please call me. i want updates! i know you have lots going on!

stuckey-- yeah, it's probably part of being southern. it's probably part of having a mother who loves being domestic. i guess i'm just old fashioned! i am aware that many women don't share my views. and that's fine. more power to 'em! i'll be rooting them on! it's just not for me is what i'm saying. i'm tired of feeling guilty for being the anti-feminist.

good call on how women shoving the feminazi schpiel down other women's throats can be just as intolerant as men who chain women to the sink.

oops, did i just say feminazi??

and come to think of it, i don't know many people who do that. maybe The Czarina...

NML/Natalie said...

What an absolutely fabulous post that had me wanting to punch the air and say 'Hell yeah!' It's good that someone has said this. It was only last night that I was out with my girls and we were talking about this very subject and saying that the quest to 'have it all' is exhausting and impossible. You must put this on Baggage as well! Well done!

Anonymous said...

I challenge you to write a post about how YOU, as a woman, can make a man's life better...just as you seem to think men's value comes from how they can make your life better.

It isnt women who are asked to be men, its men who are asked to be women. If not, listen for men to talk about how they FEEL, you will be shocked at how many do. Or this one never ceases to amaze me: How is it that every General contractor on a remodel show is a Ty Pennington? Get real.

Perhaps you may want to consider just how a real man gets by in today's society when; books like "Are Men Necessary?" are big time sellers, they are legally passed over in equal opportunities, they are relentlessly ridiculed in the media (especially fathers), and asked to provide for the family so mama can stay home and raise the kids. The answer is they live productive lives REGARDLESS of the obstacle...and there are ALOT of obstacles right now. They do all this, AND make your life the best they can. That is worthy of respect, and admiration.

Once again, be WORTHY of that kind of compliment VB.

...And what the hell do you have against beagles?

Virginia Belle said...

anonymous--ok, i'm up for the challenge, but i don't know how well i will do....haven't totally figured men out yet.

i think our society is obsessed with trying to make genders behave in ways that are unnatural for them. they have confused understanding between genders with imitation between genders. it kind of makes me sick to my stomach. i like men who act like men (no matter how obnoctious!) and women who act like women (and yes, women can also be obnoctious!). i just don't see what is so wrong about traditional gender roles. our society is starting to make us feel weird about them. and things have started to get out of control, with hiring women just because they are women. that is wrong, IMHO. and yes, men are ridiculed in the media. they are often portrayed as buffoons. but women are always portrayed as smart and capable. i know plenty of women who are neither!

i don't think there is such a thing as a man who is 100% manly or a woman who is 100% girly. there is a spectrum. some guys like to talk about feelings, some girls don't. (yours truly is an example).

so, really, i am in agreement with you. i think you made some excellent points. obviously, i'm going to lean for the female side, but then again, i'm biased! i do indeed love men--i like working for them, hanging out with them, dating them and having them in my family. i wouldn't trade 'em for the world.

and i don't like beagles because they are stupid, wander away from home and cannot be house trained easily. i like smart dogs that pee outside.

Anonymous said...

You have excellent instincts VB, just make sure you follow them for the right reasons.

And I have a beagle...their training is largely indicative of the owner's effort. Much like a man's girlfriend, they respond well to lots of attention, praise and spoiling. In my experience, beagles are far more loyal however. Now, if I could only train a woman to potty outside! (joking)

Ill say this, though...beagles are less work in a relationship than a girlfriend, in my experience. Perhaps that would be a good topic: parallel people's choice of pets compared mates.

Samborera said...

Definitely one of the best posts I've read [And I'm not into giving complements for the sake of it], possibly because I agree so much.

We are different. That to me summarises it all. This difference is something to be relished, rather than diminished. I mean. Women are beautiful. I don't know what it is [well, probably has something to do with the tits and ass]. They have soft skin, don't talk in a huge, booming bass voice, etc, etc. I think feminists come from the angle where women were treated not-so-nicely in past, patriarchal societies. I think women shouldn't be beaten/talked down to and so on just because they are female. That has already changed to a large extent. Equality on the other hand, whatever the definition, is a red herring. As you point out, there are men who are morons, and equally so women. I'm hopeless when it comes to colours and wouldn't be able to identify the colour burgundy if my life depended on it. I'm a programmer. For some reason, even really bright women don't like programming. [We had such a dearth of women in campus. A great pity] I've never really understood why, other than we are different.

I have a friend who says about women, "you can't live with them, you can't shoot them". Sometimes our differences can be frustrating, but in the end, the world is a much more fun place to be. Can you imagine a world with just women.