Wednesday, February 15, 2006

A Bundle of Nerves

Uuuugh.....I just ate too many Girl Scout Cookies....damn Lemon Pastry Cremes....lemon-flavored desserts always get me. Anyway...

Plans with The Girls got messed up. Nurse P had to study (she's getting her doctorate), Blonde Nurse wanted to drink wine at home and Brunette Nurse didn't get off work until 7:30. So I just told Brunette to come over whenever and we could burn some CDs. (I know, I'm the only American without an iPod. Sue me.) So Girls' Night didn't really happen. But that's ok--here's why.

Before leaving work yesterday, I decided to cook dinner for Repo and drop it off at his house as a Valentine's Day gesture. He wasn't getting home from work until 9pm and I had plans later on with Brunette anyway. So it was pretty much out of the question for us to hang out on the big V day. I was bummed, I have to say. He said he was too. So I skipped the gym (!) to cook for him instead. I NEVER miss Tuesday nights.

I made him Spicy Chinese Beef Stirfry w/Broccoli. It's my official "Making Dinner for First Time with New Guy" meal. Guys like it. My grandma got the recipe from a cookbook she bought in Chinatown in SanFran, I think. Anyway, I made it and drove it over to his house, along with rice (duh) and homemade cookies. I also threw in a simple, non-romantic card and...

some Jelly Belly jellybeans.

Oh, sure, just jellybeans, right? WRONG. I don't share my Jelly Bellys with just anyone. Repo doesn't know that. But let me just say, it means he's definitely on my People I Like list. So I get to the house and only one of his roommates is there. This is the roommate I haven't met yet. Repo has described him to me as being 7 feet tall and weighing 350 pounds. I'll call him Tiny. I knock on the door and Tiny opens it. Let me tell ya, Tiny is probably the largest human I've ever met. I think I shook in my shoes a little. He is that big. I am surprised he fits in standard-size vehicles (he drives one). I said, "You must be Tiny. I'm Virginia." And told him why I was there. I put the food down and told him not to eat any of it. (Precautions, you know.)

As I'm driving home, Repo calls me. He got off work early and was heading home. I had missed him by about twenty minutes! Dang! Oh well. He called me later to tell me that the food was delicious. Whew! That's a relief. (You never know when you cook that first time!)

I hung out with Brunette for a while and then went to bed early--for some reason I was exhausted. I think I might be getting sick, actually...I had this morning off for a dermatologist appointment. I used to worship the sun a lot when I was younger, so I wanted to get stuff checked out and make sure everything is ok. I am religious about remaining pale year-round (as much as I hate it!) and wearing sunblock all the time, so I honestly didn't think much of this doctor's visit. I was more interested in getting a prescription for zits than anything else!

The doc spent all of three minutes with me, tops. You'd think that since I'm a new patient, she would spend more time with me and ask more questions, but she didn't. I found out later that she is like that with everyone and I should have gone to someone else. Where were these people when I was making my appointment with Dr. Nazi??? Here's what happened:

I told her I'd like fewer zits, and without another word, she wrote me two prescriptions. I am assuming she gives the same thing to everyone, regardless. I wonder if she would have even cared had I said, "Yeah, I get more zits than I would like, but maybe it has to do with the fact that I smear Land O Lakes butter on my face before I go to bed every night. Or perhaps it's because I don't wash my face at all. Ever."

I told her I wanted her to check out all my moles and freckles, too. She scanned my naked body pretty quickly and said, "Wait. That, there. On your lower back. That one looks a little bit smudgier than it should. It has to come off."

Um, what? Did you say 'smudgier'? It's coming off now? Really?

Next thing I know, she flips me over onto my stomach and starts digging. Without local anesthesia. Can you say 'ouch'? Actually, it only hurt for a second. But it did hurt! Now I'll have a scar on my back where most girls have tattoos. And until then, I'll be waiting on my biopsy results. Yeah, talk about a word you don't welcome into your everyday vocabulary. Anyone know the statistics for skin cancer in 27 year olds? It's low, right?

I cried the whole way home. All I wanted to do was call The Czarina, but I don't want to worry her. So I've been calling my friends instead. That doctor is evil! She really is Dr. Nazi. She did absolutely nothing to put me at ease. I was, at the very least, hoping for some sympathetic joke about cellulite or something! She just left me with a big boo-boo (which still hurts, btw!) and lots of worrying. If anyone needs me, I'll be self-diagnosing myself on WebMD.

8 comments:

Virginia Belle said...

I know this is random, but does anyone know of an easy way for me to post my recipes on my blog without making them actual posts? i'm wondering if this ability exists in the blogosphere.

Stuck said...

You could post them on another website and link to them or just make a second blog for them.


As for the biopsy, don't sweat it. It's far worse for your body to spend the waiting period worrying over something you can't change the result of anyway. My last biopsy test took two weeks to get the results. Why spend two weeks worrying?

teahouse said...

Switch dermatologists!! There are too many good ones for you to waste any more time or give this one any more of your business.

I have a nice dermatologist. Doesn't hurt that she's a friend of a friend, and very sweet. Think of it as a service industry - doctors want your business, so they should be going out of their way to be nice to you! If they're mean, they should go out of business...

Mom of 3 said...

I would love the recipe. I haven't cooked for my new boyfriend yet, and he always orders teriyaki beef at Chinese restaurants, so I'd love to make this for him.

NML/Natalie said...

Oh you poor darling! {{{{hugs}}}} The last time I was flipped over by a nurse, she put a supository up my arse and when my mum arrived I was crying my eyes out and told my mum I'd been violated!
You sound like such a caring GF (or almost GF). That was a lovely thing to do for your man!

The Dummy said...

Wow, she must've flunked personality school. Sorry to hear you had to go through that.

Very nice touch, btw, on Valentines.

Virginia Belle said...

stuck-- you are full of good ideas, as usual. second blog. good call. and what do you mean "my last biopsy"? have you been a victim of this brutal and barbaric practice as well?

teahouse--yes, i will probably do that. unfortunately, no one i know has found a good AND nice dermotologist. there seems to be a shortage in columbia.

mom of 3--hold on, girl! i'll try and get on it ASAP. i have to pack this weekend since i'm moving, but i will try to get it up.

NML--that is worse! uuuugh,i hate those things!!!! they are always cold and feel weird!!!

DD & NML--thanks for the props. i was patting myself on the back!

Virginia Belle said...

CG-- thank you for the compliment. but really, i just have them all covered up w/makeup. and actually, i have offered to do his laundry. he has approximately 15 loads to do. he has more clothes than a Macy's Department Store.

Sketch--yeah, i haven't checked out allrecipes in a long time. it's a great site. and i just love to cook for people. i really get a lot of satisfaction out of doing that. it will be the first meal of many i will probably cook for Repo. :)