Monday, January 23, 2006

Libraries and Lap Dances

So I went out with The Lawyer this weekend. He was nice. He was funny. He was smart. He was great on paper. But he was just a little too unsure of himself and somewhat...vanilla. And fidgety. He is a bona fide Wimpy Nice Guy.

I have decided there are four types of Nice Guys: Wimpy, Clingy, Nerdy and True. This conclusion is a result of a discussion we had during an episode of Wednesday Trivia Night. You can read a summary of my types here on Stuckey's blog. My point in discussing the four types is that just because you are a nice guy doesn't mean you are desirable. Most of these guys get TFZ'd pretty fast. So for any Nice Guys reading this who are fed up with being single, you might be in one of these four categories.

Bigfoot has not come out of his room since I've been home...which is odd for him. He's almost always in the kitchen 24/7. Maybe he is sick? If he is, I will make him some soup or get him food/medicine, even though I hate his smelly guts. I figure I need some good karma floating around after this weekend. Good thing I donated to some charities this month! Whew! Hopefully it will serve as a buffer!

I was confrontational with four different people this weekend! This is a record for me by far. Usually I average about one every six months. So I think I'm stressed out or something. (Maybe I just need to get some?) You know something is up when you are yelling at the drive-thru girl at McDonald's. (I sat in the drive-thru for twenty minutes and when I got to the front of the line, she asked me, "Ok, what did you order again?"---grrrrr....) So I think I will try and lug my shriveled Philip Morris lungs over to the new gym to burn off some rage. And distract myself from the physically painful nic fit I'm having. Must. Think. Healthy.....*gasp!*

This week I'm going to try and live what I like to refer to as The Hot Girl Lifestyle. It is how I imagine those really hot girls live. They always seem so magically....together. It's sort of an "If I were Cameron Diaz, what would I be doing right now?" concept. I will try to get back to my 5-days-a-week workout schedule, keep my nails manicured, my room clean, my outfits cute, my meals low-cal, my to-do list completed, my bedtime early, my phone calls returned and my mood happy. There is more, but you get the idea. I haven't lived the HGL since about early December, so I'm out of practice. I've been enjoying my Bad Girl Phase of cigarettes, naps, cranky attitude and fattening food. Then this weekend I added drama to boot. That is a sign it's time to rise up out of the ashes and get back to reality. This first week back will feel more like HGL bootcamp, but I'll just have to suck it up. Pray for me!

So a funny thing happened to me today. I did some real, actual work at work! Wow! But that's not the funny part. I was typing up something for people who have never used our library before. You need a photo ID to check out books, and people often need to print off lots of stuff from the computers. We have recently started charging for printing and I wanted to remind them of this. After typing the last line, I realized it was the same advice I would give to someone who was going to a strip club for the first time:

Don't forget your ID and lots of dollar bills!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah well, a librarian who likes monty python, now there's a rare find indeed, a woman close to may heart. i bet you're a stickler for grammar, syntax, stuff like that

Anonymous said...

btw, i don't know what or where columbia sc is, and what is a type a? we non-americans need a bit of help now and then

Virginia Belle said...

i do love monty python and all british humor in general! (NML also knows i'm a huge fan of british slang as well). i'm also a fawlty towers fan and i love The Office. The Czarina got me into that type of humor. And yes, as the daughter of an editor and a writer/professor, i'm a stickler for grammar & spelling. (i don't know all the rules, though! The Czarina corrects me often!)

Columbia, South Carolina is on the east coast of the united states, about an hour south of Charlotte, North Carolina. It has about 500,000 population--smallish city.

i'm curious to know where you are on the globe...i know columbia isn't a metropolis by any means, but i thought people knew it was at least in the states....but maybe i'm just being a typical american, thinking that everyone should know about america!

Some psychologist said there are two types of personality: type a and type b. type a people tend to be a little more controlling, organized, anal retentive and uh, uptight. these are the sticklers for grammar! type b personality types are really laid back, not known for being organized or strict about stuff. they don't really care about stuff as much as the type a people do. most people are a blend of the two, but usually fall closer to one side of the spectrum.

hope this explains everything a little better!

Modigliani said...

Wimpy, Clingy, Nerdy, and True ... That is great! So well put, and it's true! I've dealt with my fair share of wimpy, clingy, and nerdy. I think I finally found the "true" one. :)

So, VB, were you an Elementary, Middle, or HS teacher? How were you able to be considered qualified to be a librarian? (If you don't mind my asking!) Don't they usually require a degree in library science? (oh, maybe you have one?)

Croaky said...

Hmmm... Is it possible that I'm a little of all four Guy types?

Anonymous said...

Virginia, re the psychic post below; I think it was Mark Twain (one of my favourite Americans) who said "predictions are often difficult - especially those regarding the future..." I collect sayings btw.
I'm Stuart, 40, in Auckland, New Zealand. Occupation indeterminate, marital status, who can say? When I think of Columbia I think of Columbia University. Not sure about the typical American thing. America is so diverse. I've been to California and New York. Oh yeah, NYC, imagine that! That's a line from a song methinks. I can bore you with a lecture on the "nice guy" thing from a historical and social perspective based on evolutionary psychology and the triune brain theory if you're interested, but hey, tomorrow's anther day.

Virginia Belle said...

Modigli-- thanks to the inspiration from your most recent post, MY most recent post will give a run-down of me and my career--past, present, future!

so stay tuned...

Virginia Belle said...

oh, and leelion, Columbia University is in New York--a little north of here. different climate, different culture, same country. :)

NML/Natalie said...

You make me laugh. I like the ending too!